Special Education Resources
Written by Jacob C. Herman
Special education refers to the education of students with some form of disability. Some of these disabilities include behavioral disorders, communication challenges, developmental disabilities, emotional disorders, learning disabilities, and physical disabilities. As such, the education of special students requires specialized teaching methods and programs. Here are some special education resources for parents and educators.
General Disabilities Information
- Disabilities: A lot of information and resources on disabilities by Medline Plus.
- WHO: The World Health Organization page on disabilities with links to general information, technical information, multimedia, and more.
- LD Online: Great resource center on learning disabilities and ADHD.
- NINDS: LD information page of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.
- LDW: Site of LD Worldwide with information for parents, educators, LD individuals, clinicians, and researchers.
- NCLD: Homepage of the National Center for Learning Disabilities.
- Afasic: An organization in the UK dedicated to “unlocking speech and language” in children and young adults.
- Apraxia-KIDS: The website of CASANA, an organization for helping children with apraxia.
- Deaf Education: Excellent resource center for deaf education professionals.
- ASHA: Studies the various causes of hearing impairments in children.
- ASLTA: Official site of the American Sign Language Teachers Association.
- RIDBC: Vision impairment resource center by the Royal Institute for Deaf and Blind Children.
- Special Education: A collection of links to organizations and resources for education of students with vision impairment.
- Child Behavioral Disorders: Great resource page by Medline Plus.
- CCBD: Homepage of the Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders.
- Autism Research Institute: An organization dedicated to the treatment of autism.
- Autism Collaboration: A collection of websites of various autism organizations.
- Early Detection: Discusses the recognition of autism signs in children.
- Educating Children with Autism: Online version of the book by the “Committee on Educational Interventions for Children with Autism.”
Parent’s and Educator’s Resources
- NASET: Homepage of the National Association of Special Education Teachers.
- Special Education Resources: Good resource center by the Connecticut State Department of Education.
Special Needs and Technology
- SETBC: Homepage of Special Education Technology British Columbia, committed to the use of special programs and technology.
- Journal of Special Education Technology: Provides news of development of special education technology.
- SETC: The Special Education Technology Center of Central Washington University, providing support for special education students, schools, and parents.
Associations and National Organizations
- IASE: The International Association of Special Education.
- NASDSE: Website of the National Association of State Directors of Special Education.
- IDEA: The National Education Association page dedicated to Individuals with Disabilities Education Act of 2004.
- LDA: Official site of the Learning Disabilities Association of America.
Special Education Discussion Groups
- Forums: Discussion group at LDOnline.
- Email Discussion: A list of emails for the discussion of various disabilities.
Written by Jacob C. Herman