Learn to Speak Hawaiian
The Hawaiian language is a form of Polynesian language, and it was named after the island of Hawai’i, or Big Island. It is one of two official languages of the state of Hawaii, the other being English. As such, Hawaii is the only state in the US that has two official languages. The Hawaiian language has the same five vowels as English, but it only has seven consonants, a few of which are pronounced the same way as in English. Also, two symbols are used in Hawaiian writing that are not used in English, they are the glottal stop and the macron. It is not easy to find Hawaiian language schools and teachers in the US mainland, but there are many websites on the Internet that provide excellent information and tutorials for learning the language.
- Hawaiian Pronunciation: Learn how to pronounce Hawaiian consonants and vowels from this web page.
- Hawaiian Alphabets: An article that discusses Hawaiian alphabets and their pronunciations.
- Hawaiian Language Basics: Alphabets, vowels, and proper pronunciation of Hawaiian language.
- Hawaiian Vowels: Audio presentation that shows the sounds of vowels of Hawaiian and other languages.
- Hawaiian Phonology: A great lesson on Hawaiian phonology.
Using Hawaiian Phrases
- Hawaiian Words and Phrases: Extensive list of common Hawaiian words and phrases.
- Useful Hawaiian Phrases: Hawaiian phrases that are used in everyday life.
- Common Hawaiian Phrases: Selection of useful Hawaiian phrases.
- Hawaiian Dictionary: A free online Hawaiian to English dictionary.
Hawaiian Facts and Culture
- Hawaii Fact Sheet: A fact sheet that contains general information about Hawaii.
- Hawaiian Language Profile: Information about the Hawaiian language, including history, linguistic affiliation, role in society, and others.
- Hawaiian Culture: A web page that contains articles about Hawaiian culture.
- Hawaiian Traditions: A comprehensive description of Hawaiian traditions.
- History of the Luau: Find out about the origin of the Hawaiian Luau.
- Hula of Hawaii: Article that discusses hula dancing in Hawaii.